If you’re anything like me, you’ll be out waiting in line in the freezing temperatures just to grab that $3 board game, $8 DVD or $20 video game. I don’t go out for the big-ticket items—I go out for the fun, the rush, the start of the holiday shopping season! If you go out for the fun and bargains, you also need to remember to be safe. Below are some tips for staying safe this Black Friday, while getting all of those super sales and deals.
- Shop with a partner and map out a course. Set a time and place to check in with each other.
- Park in a well-lit area or near a door so you’re not walking to your car in the midnight darkness.
- Hide valuables and don’t leave visible merchandise in your car.
- Don’t carry a lot of cash with you.
- Wait until after the initial rush to go into the store. I’ve found that if I wait until about thirty minutes after opening, I can still go into the store and find some of the good bargains I came for, but don’t have to deal with the pushing and shoving.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Have situational awareness of the people around you if you are waiting outside of a store to get a deal on something. Maintain your situational awareness once you enter the store as well. You never know when bad stuff could begin to happen.
- Make sure you have a cell phone with you in case you need help in an emergency situation.
- Once you have your merchandise, be careful that you aren’t being followed back to your car by thieves. Maintain situation awareness until you arrive back at home.
- Know before you go. Be aware of store entrances and exits, opening hours, closing hours, etc.
We hope you all have a very happy and safe holiday!!!