It might be football season, but Capitals season tickets have been delivered all over the DMV! The team kicked off training camp on Wednesday and fans are gearing up for a great Caps season.
Can’t wait until October 3rd for the home opener? We’ve got several ideas to get you geared up to rock the red & cheer on the local team to victory!
On Tuesday, September 17th, the Capitals will face the Boston Bruins in Baltimore. Wait, what? Yes, you read that right! The Caps will head north to face the Bruins at 1st Mariner Arena for the Baltimore Hockey Classic.
This is the second time the Caps have played in a pre-season game in Baltimore (that pesky 2012 lockout kept the fun from happening in Charm City). The Bruins are always a formidable opponent, so even if the game doesn’t count, it will still be full of face skating, hard checking and highlight-worthy goal scoring.
The Baltimore Arena, formerly 1st Mariner Arena, is Baltimore’s largest indoor venue and entertainment facility and has long been considered an anchor that contributed to the growth and prosperity of Baltimore. The arena opened in 1962 and was the cornerstone of the Baltimore Inner Harbor redevelopment.
Tickets are still available for the Baltimore Hockey Classic, so ask your concierge for pricing options!
If you can’t make it to Baltimore for the game on Tuesday, a few days later, the Caps will return to the District for their annual Capitals Convention on Saturday, September 21st at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center in Downtown DC.
The event has been a tremendous success in its first three years, attracting sold-out crowds of more than 6,500 to the day-long interactive and informational celebration of the Capitals, which features the entire roster of current players and a number of prominent alumni including former Caps and current coaches Adam Oates, Calle Johansson and Olie Kolzig. The list of alumni keeps growing! Keep an eye out on the Alumni page to see if your former favorite player will be there!
The day will include player autographs and photos with fans. There will be a wide array of activities on hand such as hockey interactives, panel sessions, hockey displays and much more.
Some of the panels topics have been released and include:
- Cooking with Mike Green: Caps defenseman Mike Green whips up a favorite dish with corporate executive chef Steve Mannino and discusses the joys of cooking.
- Going for the Gold: Panelists share thoughts about the prestige of the Olympics and balancing the responsibility with the NHL campaign.
- Kids Press Conference (a fan favorite every year!): Capitals goaltender Braden Holtby and defenseman Steve Oleksy respond to questions from youth ages 14 and under.
- Ping Pong Tournament: Karl Alzner, Nicklas Backstrom, Troy Brouwer, John Carlson and Mathieu Perreault compete head-to-head in a ping pong tournament.
And new this year, fan chosen panels include:
- Hockey Dads: When players are away from the ice, they have a number of responsibilities. One of the most important ones is being a father. Caps players recount the stories, joys and tribulations of being a father. The players talk about balancing the important milestones of their children’s development while they’re plying their trade in arenas across the continent.
- Locker Room Stories : Each player spends many hours in the locker before and after games and practices. Listen to them tell stories about each other: who is the biggest prankster, who is the messiest, who has the most hair products in their locker. Who spends the most time getting ready before they leave the locker room?
- Video session with Brett Leonhardt: During the course of a season, the Capitals and their coaches watch hours upon hours of game footage in preparation for upcoming games. Caps video coach Brett “Stretch” Leonhardt breaks down some game footage and discusses the use of video as a teaching tool.
Autograph tickets for the event are $45 and are on sale now. Non-autograph tickets are available for $30 and provide you access to everything but guaranteed autographs from members of the 2013-2014.
One of our DC concierges, Chelsey, has gone to every Caps Convention and has her tickets purchased for 2013. Say hi if you see her & her motley crew of Caps season ticket holder friends!
For a complete list of ticket prices and for more convention information, visit WashingtonCaps.com