I grew up just outside of Boston where a lot of the pizza and sandwich joints were run by Greek families. The pizza was always delicious but I always went in for a gyro. There was something about the warm pita bread and fresh tzatziki sauce that made me melt every time. A few years back, I came up with a simple chicken gyro recipe that my friends are always asking me to make.
- 1 lb thin sliced chicken breast
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Panko Bread Crumbs
- Olive Oil
- Chopped Onion
- Chopped Tomato
- Pita Bread
- Tzatziki Sauce (you can make your own but I love Cedar’s brand Tzatziki Sauce)
- Combine olive oil and lemon juice.
- Soak chicken in olive oil and lemon juice mixture
- Coat chicken in panko bread crumbs, make sure to cover them entirely
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and cook chicken
- Pat off excess oil from chicken and cut into 1-2 inch slices
- Coat pita bread in a light layer of olive oil.
- Heat up pita bread in the same skillet used for the chicken, 30-60 seconds on each side
- Spoon on desired amount of tzatziki sauce, add chicken, onion and tomato.
- Fold in half and enjoy!